Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Brief Version of My Story

March 3, 1999- A day that I will never forget! I woke up that morning sick, but that wasn't a surprise since I had been sick for more than a week. I had an anti-biotic I was taking because according to the doctors in the ER at Sutter Roseville I just had a virus. I had been taking the anti-biotic for a week and I wasn't getting any better; I was just getting worse. My parents were worried so they made me a doctor's appointment with my doctor for that day.

I remember sitting in the waiting room waiting for the doctor to see me. I felt horrible! I was nauseous and my stomach hurt. It wasn't just a normal stomach ache either. I had pains going through all of my stomach. My doctor, Dr. Lee, came in and she could tell just by looking at me that something was wrong. I was extremely skinny, just skin and bones, but my stomach was bloated. She wanted to have me admitted to Sutter Roseville for tests. I started crying and saying, "I don't want to go to the hospital!" My mom was crying too and said, "I know, but we need to find out what's wrong."

My brother and sisters were at a friends house so my dad took my mom and me to the hospital and helped me all settled into the hospital before going to pick them up. I had an ultrasound and x-rays done. The results weren't good! I had three tumors a soccer ball sized one in my chest, a grape fruit sized one and a baseball sized one in my abdomen.

Sutter Roseville wasn't equipped to handle something like this so I was transferred to Sutter Memorial in Sacramento, California. They did more tests there and told my parents that if I hadn't come to the hospital I would have died in 24 hours. I spent six long months in and out of the hospital doing chemotherapy.

By the grace of God and thanks to my team of amazing doctors: Dr. Kent Jolly, Dr. Pat Hardy, and Dr. Yim Yung and nurses I am here today.

My purpose of starting this blog is to try and get my story out there and to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer. Out of all the funding that cancer receives only 3 to 4 percent of it actually goes to childhood cancer and as someone who has gone through cancer as a child and almost died from it that is not acceptable. We need to find a cure for this horrific disease so that it can't affect any more lives.

Through this blog I will be sharing short essays that I have written about my experience with cancer and I will also be sharing what I am doing with my life to give back all the love and care I got. I will also be sharing what I am doing to raise awareness and fundraise money for various charities related to childhood cancer.

I hope you enjoy
Love, Michelle

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea to raise awareness Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, what a wonderful way to do let people know! A first-hand experience and the way it impacted YOUR life. My heart swells with love and we thank God daily. You are a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete